Kalaban is a horror-themed 2D action-adventure by Rayhouse Productions. The game focuses on story-telling and open-ended gameplay.
The game is set in the year 1995, in an alternate history version of Finland. The main character of the game is Bob, a hermit and an American who has moved to Finland. Bob's cabin is attacked by a mutant monster, which triggers the story. He must find out what is going on around him and discover the reason behind the weird outbreak.
- Unique story and characters: While the game has a basic premise of mutant invasion, it also features a story with real depth and complexity.
- Top-down action: In the heart of the gameplay is the exploration and combat. You kill monsters, gain loot and eat food to survive. We've wanted to make the combat fun and approachable, compared to similar survival horror titles.
- Mini-sandbox: After the introduction, the player is let loose on the game world. You're given the freedom to explore the setting in a non-linear fashion.
- Dark comedy: The game is presented with a serious tone, but beneath it lies an absurd comedy, filled with strange events and characters.
- Player choice matters: Your actions and choices directly affect the how the story plays out. The characters' destiny lies in your hands.
- Hand-crafted world: All the level backgrounds are unique, and the main character is completely hand-animated. We've wanted to achieve a high level of polish with the art.
- Back to the 90s: The game is set in the recent past of Finland. The game is littered with tropes and references to the history and culture of our country. In addition to that, we've taken many influences from older DOS titles, and brought their design to the modern day.