DinoSystem is a 2D, top-down ecosystem and survival simulation that allows players to either manage the ecology of a randomly generated island (inhabited by dinosaurs), or survive in it as a human, dealing with realistic survival mechanics, and with a deep character progression system that tracks how your character's body adapts over time.
Everything on the island is subject to biological and physical rules, and nothing comes from nothing: will you hunt the last dinosaur of its species for a steak, or will you protect it from extinction and make sure its eggs hatch? These are the dilemmas you'll face in the game, as long as YOU don't get extinct.
God mode: Manage the island ecology, change the weather, trigger devastating events, and see how the ecosystem adapts to your godly acts. NOTE: God mode still lacks a proper GUI and tools to fully interact with the world; expect it to be expanded throughout the Early Access phase.
Survival mode: Join the island as a stranded human, see how long you can survive as part of it, and how your body changes in the process; the game offers the option to play either with "casual" or "hardcore" difficulty. NOTE: there is no story yet as a background for the Survival mode, we're still working on it, and you can help us find a good one!
- Ecology simulation: animals and plants don't "spawn", they are born, then grow, and reproduce.
- DinoSystem uses a complex seasonal model that calculates day/night length, relative position of the sun, and influences the weather. Seasons transition is gradual, no sudden change between two seasons.
- Realistic weather model that takes into account variables like time of day, humidity, temperature, and pressure; generating weather conditions like rain, snow, wind, sand/snowstorms, thunderstorm and fog.
- Thunders can trigger huge wildfires, burning down entire forests.
- Realistic water cycle: rain creates puddles that can either evaporate or grow into ponds and lakes. Evaporation takes into account air humidity, temperature and sun exposure.
- Terrain changes according to factors like presence of water, weather, vegetation, and location. Any area can become fertile or arid, new forest or grasslands may form or disappear over time.
- Fire (from torches to campfires and wildfires) consumes available fuel, releasing heat and light, and it's influenced by air humidity and wind; you body and all objects near a fire are heated up. Fire can spread to nearby vegetation and trigger a wildfire, if ambient conditions are favourable.
- Animals AI allows them to survive in their world and adapt; they'll reproduce, care for their youngs, look for protection or compete.
- Each new island is randomized at game start, based on parameters set by the player.
- Everything, from dead animals to branches, decomposes based on factors like temperature, humidity, and location. There isn't a timer after which an item or a