Europa Universalis is a historical strategy game that simulates all aspects of world history from 1492 to 1792. Each player takes on the role of one of the major nations of the era, controlling diplomacy, economy, warfare, exploration, and colonization. The game takes place on a map divided into approximately 1,500 provinces, and proceeds in a pausable real time format.
- A number of unique features ensure historical accuracy, including period monarchs, military leaders, and technological gains.
- Involve yourself in colonization, exploration, trade and infrastructure, war, religion, and diplomacy against other players or your computer.
- Ninety different nations are potentially player-controlled, while the powerful AI controls nonplayer nations.
- Choose from nine scenarios, including a Grand Campaign game that encompasses 300 years.
- There are more than 500 different historical missions and a dynamic system that generates countless exciting missions.
- More than 200 historical events potentially affect the outcome of your actions. A map covering the entire globe encompasses 800-plus named provinces, 550-plus named sea zones, and 100-plus named rivers.
- The real-time game can be set to pause at any time or any given event to give players time to plan ahead, thereby creating a semi-real-time environment.