This game will crush you.
Face merciless gameplay to explore a cursed castle, discover the dark tales of its inhabitants, and kill the gods of a decaying world. Eternal Return combines retro graphics and old-school mechanics with modern nonlinear level design and storytelling.
Survive to Explore
Slow pacing combined with tight yet unconvential controls builds stress, tension, and horror during gameplay, rather than taking a hack & slash approach. Players build their health, stamina, and arsenal up from nothing - and earn points by killing enemies to use special weapons to fight their way to the next shortcut.
Discover a Story
Speak to NPCs, find written messages, muse over paintings, and explore story-filled architecture to learn or infer the forgotten tales of the crumbling castle and its fading inhabitants - including yourself.
- Starting with 1 health and 1 stamina to be built up by exploring for upgrades
- Stamina management-combat
- Unique controls for toe-to-toe combat
- No Air controls! (How do they do that, anyway?)
- Realistically-paced attacks for strategy rather than spamming
- 3 primary and 3 secondary weapons
- Gathering points to use secondary weapons
- Returning to your place of death to recover points
- Looping level design around only one central checkpoint with unlockable in-universe fast travel for great immersion
- Locked doors and optional secret areas
- Hardcore areas with invisible enemies and other crazy challenges
- Secret healing checkpoints to help further your exploration
- 9 NPCs with voice acting and subtitles
- 20 Levels
- 13 Bosses
- 50+ unique enemy types
- Discover phonographs to find the game's soundtrack
- 64 colors!
- So many jars and barrels that need smashing.